Jason left for the casino again yesterday, which meant I had an evening alone. Obviously, I baked cupcakes. But not just any cupcakes- strawberry jam-filled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
They taste heavenly, and they were super easy.
All you need is:
- A box of vanilla cake mix (and oil, water, and eggs per directions on box)
- Fruit Preserves (I used strawberry, as you see)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Prepare the cake mix per the directions on the box. Pour batter into lined cupcake pan as you normally would.
- Set your kitchen timer for HALF the total cook time.
- When the timer goes off, pull out the cupcakes and drop a little spoonful of preserves on top of each one. If the spoonful is too big, it will sink to the bottom and/or make the cupcake hard to eat. I found that about 1/2 a tsp. works perfectly.
- Put the cupcakes back into the oven for the remaining cook time.
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
- Mix the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar. This is much easier if the butter and cream cheese are room temperature. Once mixed, I put mine into a large ziplock bag and cut off the corner so I can neatly pipe the frosting onto my cupcakes.
- Garnish with fresh strawberry, if desired (HIGHLY recommended- I really think it brings it all together!)
Refrigerate for best results.