I’m a big believer in having a healthy breakfast everyday. My go-to breakfast is steel cut oats.
Here’s why I’m an oat evangelist:
- Oats help lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Oatmeal helps prevent heart disease
- Oats are low-fat and low-calorie but packed with fiber, which keeps you feeling full
- Oats are packed with vitamins and minerals
- Jackie Warner says they do great things for you hormonally
- They’re great as part of a weight loss plan or a regular healthy diet
- You can fix it a million ways
To make it super easy to have a healthy breakfast ready in minutes everyday, I make a big batch of steel cut oats Sunday night and microwave a single serving every morning. Steel cut oats are a little more expensive and take about 25 minutes to cook, but they’re practically un-processed. I also prefer the texture of them to regular oatmeal. My favorite way to fix it is to stir in vanilla protein powder (about 1/2 a scoop) and heap fresh strawberries or blueberries on top. The protein powder adds some calories, but its good for my muscles and keeps me feeling full. Plus it adds some sweetness to the oatmeal. The berries are sweet, packed with antioxidants, and they add a fresh, cool contrast to the warm mushy oats.
My second favorite oatmeal toppings are bananas, brown sugar, and walnuts.
What do you put on your oatmeal?