I try to follow an 80/20 diet. So whole, unprocessed, “good for me” foods make up 80% (ok, maybe 75%) of my diet and the other 20% is reserved for indulgences. Sometimes I reach my 20% of junk pretty early in the day. That’s what bottomless mimosas or ice cream for lunch will do to you. So on days like that, it’s good to have a very healthy dinner up your sleeve to recover with. These stuffed bell peppers are the perfect recipe for days like those.
Here’s how you can make them:
About 1/2 a pound of lean ground turkey
About a tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/2 cup finely chopped (yellow) onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used Mexican style), drained and coarsely chopped
4 bell peppers
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1. Preheat your oven to 350*
2. Make your quinoa (directions on box)
3. Heat your olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic until the onions are turn translucent and it’s all fragrant. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn!
4. Add your turkey and stir until it’s cooked through.
5. Once the turkey is cooked, mix in the quinoa, cumin, and tomatoes. Stir together and let them all simmer together a moment.
6. Wash your peppers, cut them in half longways, and tear out the middle. Arrange them in a baking dish.
7. Use a spoon to stuff your peppers.
8. Bake for about 30 mins.
And there you go! Low fat, high protein, and a good serving of healthy veggies. Hope you enjoy them as much as J did last night. He’s already requested that I make them again soon!