Faking Fall

Fall has always been my favorite season.  It’s meant a relief from brutal summer temperatures, a birthday around the corner, and cozy clothing made for snuggles with your man or beast of choice.  Maybe it was the many years of school, but it’s always felt like a fresh start.

Then I moved to Southern California.  Don’t get me wrong, I love it here, but it doesn’t seem like fall at all.  The weather app on my phone says it’s going to be 93°F today and I haven’t seen even a twinge of yellow or red in the trees.  Seeing friends and bloggers around the country revel in fall festivities has me downright jealous.  I hate missing out on the fun.  So I’ve decided to fake it.  I’m going to wear scarves with my tank tops.  I’m venturing out into the country for a pumpkin.  And I will make a bonfire, even if it’s on the beach.  This is my season, darn it, and I will enjoy it!

What would you miss if your favorite season was stolen from you?  Anything crucial I’ve left off my list?

Thanks for reading, and double thanks for your comments.  Y’all are the best ❤

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Faking Fall

1. Gloria says:

Haha you absolutely should! Turn up the AC and wear your boots and scarves around the house 🙂

• This is a BRILLIANT IDEA! It actually reminds me of something we did in High School that I’d totally forgotten about. We called it “the Christmas game” and we’d drive around with the AC BLASTING listening to Christmas music. It was so fun, I should totally bring it back 🙂

Last winter, it barely snowed at all here in NY. However, I’m not complaining because it made my drive to and from work (and to see my long-distance boyfriend and friends) a whole lot easier. I always wondered what it’s like to live in a warm climate during fall and winter! At least you’re making the most of it!

Life Unsweetened

3. arayofsun says:

If I didn’t live on the East Coast I think I would miss the leaves changing the most. Just the way it smells the time of year is intoxicating. But luckily that’s why we have scented candles! I love your picks and fully support your fake fall!
    xoxo
    Megan

• The foliage is probably the thing I miss most about the East coast. The rolling grassy hills and tree-covered mountains…. But at the same time, the West’s rocky cliffs and enormous canyons have an exotic novelty about them. I feel so blessed to live in such a large country with so much beauty and such diverse landscapes.

I think I honestly would be devastated if I didn’t have snow (or at least winter-like weather) for Christmas. There’s just something about it that makes it more magical! However, I think you can evoke the feeling of a season anywhere…just light up a pumpkin candle and make a pie!

-Alyssa

• Fortunately I’m going home for Christmas, so I can count on frosty temperatures. It probably won’t feel like the Christmas season until I get there, though. Who wants to Christmas shop in shorts!? Not me!

5. HourglassAndBloom says:

I’m thinking of a nice trek through Apple Valley (up near Glendale) for some apple-picking, picnicking, and crisp mountain air. Care to join?

Oh, and mosey on down to a Vons or Trader Joes and pick up a “cinnamon broom” for about $6. They’re exactly what they sound like – this broom made of branches and cinnamon……you just prop it up in your house somewhere and it lasts forever making the whole room smell delicious and autumnal.

Other than that – I’m very VERY lucky my boyfriend has air conditioning……at least then I can wear my long john pajamas drinking hot toddies and not be a sweltering mess!

xo
    Nicole

6. glitzyblues says:

Love those boots!! That would be so weird without Fall!

Xo, Rachel
    Glitzy Blues

7. Kelly says:

I love these options!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

8. raychiemac says:

I completely feel you on Fall, living in Florida we usually don’t get any weather below 50 degrees (though that is a thing to be thankful for during the winter!). I do all the same that you do with faking fall, fall-scented candles are also a MUST HAVE during these times!

9. Lauren says:

We are SoCal girls too! Love this post! Those boots are AMAZING! xx The Golden Girls

10. jennacwest says:

I can totally relate to this post. Why is it over 90 degrees today in SoCal? Come on it is October!! I absoutely love this list. I have stocked up on boots for the fall and I am dying to wear them, but unfortuantely it is still sandal weather!

11. Donna Pugliese says:

Sounds like you need a little of this action!

12. jordan says:

Reese’s are my favorite halloween candy too!

13. You’re so good at faking Fall! Dont we always want what we don’t have- I love California weather, so jealous!

girlavantgarde.com

14. It’s the EXACT same for me in Florida. I just moved in March and I’m so jealous of all the blog posts people have been doing on pumpkin patches and pumpkin carvings and my instagram feed is loaded with pictures of gorgeous fall leaves! Meanwhile I’m in FL where it’s still hot enough to go to the beach…that’s why I’m doing the exact same thing and faking fall this weekend. I’m making pumpkin pie, decorating/carving pumpkins and my fall candle will be burning all weekend long!