Carrot Ginger Soup

It can be challenging to create healthy winter meals, but this tasty soup fits the bill.  It’s packed with flavor and nutrients but not calories!  Now, is it as good as my triple chocolate cookies?  No.  But it also has a fraction of the fat content.  It’s all about the balance, amiright?

Here are the ingredients:

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
  • 4 cups chopped and peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cups orange juice
  • dash nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Before you start, chop up your onions, carrots, and ginger.

When you’re ready to begin, put the onions, ginger, and olive oil in a big pot and sauté until the onions are soft (4-5 minutes).

Then add the carrots and veggie broth.  Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until the carrots are soft (this will depend a lot on how small you chopped the carrots).

Put the mixture in a blender and blend to your desired consistency.  I wanted mine pretty smooth.

Pour the soup back into your pot and add the cup of orange juice.  Stir well.

Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.  Start slowly with the nutmeg- that stuff is strong!

Recipe adapted from here.

I’m not saying this is the best soup I’ve ever had.  What I’m saying is: this tastes really good considering that it’s super healthy.  I’m sure a recipe with cream would taste better, but it wouldn’t be as healthy.  It also wouldn’t be vegan, which this is.

This is actually the first time I’ve ever made soup.  Aside from all the chopping, I liked it and can’t wait to try making other kinds!  Do you have a soup recipe I should try?  Leave me a link, pretty please!

This entry was posted in Food & Recipes, Healthy meals & snacks and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Carrot Ginger Soup

1. Wow, this sounds so unique! There’s a restaurant back home in Ohio that has a drink with carrot and orange juice and it’s amazing. I love the addition of ginger into this soup, I’m sure it gives it great flavor. I’d love to give this a try.

2. balancedpeanut says:

This looks so good!! Never thought about carrot and ginger soup! Here’s another soup you might enjoy: http://balancedpeanut.com/2012/11/07/quick-and-easy-homemade-vegetable-soup/

Carrot and ginger is such an expected combo…I’m really intrigued! I’m always looking for new soup recipes and everything you post is sooooooo yummy. I can’t wait to try this! xo

Alyssa

4. When the weather turns cold I’m always looking for a yummy soup to help warm me up! I love that this is nutritious and like you said not pack with fat. Can’t wait to give this a try!

xo jen

Although I’ve never had this before, I think I would really like it. Anything with ginger is always good, and carrots are one of my favorite vegetables!

Life Unsweetened

6. I love the sound of this soup. Obviously, its not hearty but ginger is so warming in the winter and so good for you! I definitely want to try this out! xx

7. Anna says:

Nom!! my favorite!!

8. I’m not a fan of carrots, but I’m definitely interested in trying this!

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

• I don’t really like carrots OR ginger, but together, they’re delicious! We had carrot asparagus ginger soup as an amuse bouche in Hawaii and it was amazing so I searched for a similar recipe to make as soon as I got home- and that’s how I came up with this 🙂

9. Hi there! I saw your comment on A Beautiful Mess about this being your first week attempting a vegan diet and I just wanted to say “Welcome!” I’ve been on a vegan diet since Oct 2008 and loving it. If you are ever interested in more recipes I have some on my new blog and many more in store to come! So happy to stumble on your comment and then your blog. I look forward to your recipes. 🙂

~Aubrey
    Project Lovegood

10. glitzyblues says:

That looks interesting and delicious! Good Fall meal!

Xo, Rachel
    Glitzy Blues

11. Need to try it! It looks delicious!

12. charminglystyled says:

I’ve been trying to be better about making my own dinner – and this looks delicious and not too hard! I’m going to have to try this soon, thanks for the inspiation love!

xx,