DIY Lip Scrub

So we all know that lipstick is super in right now, but dry, flakey lips are about as sexy as your naked grandma on a trampoline (sorry for that mental image) so I created this DIY lip scrub.  It’s made entirely of things I had on hand, and took about 30 seconds to throw together.

The measurements don’t need to be exact, but I used approximately:

• 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

Mix them together to form a gritty paste and use your fingers to apply it to your lips.  Scrub them gently, then rinse it away.  You’re probably going to get a little in your mouth, but that’s totally OK because the stuff actually tastes pretty good and is 100% edible.

The sugar works as an exfoliator and scrubs away dead skin cells, which makes your lips feel silky smooth.  And the lemon, well, it pretty much just smells and tastes good (other citrus juices should work just as well).

The coconut oil is a moisturizer so that you don’t have to follow up with a Chapstick or lip balm.  And by the way, if you’re not already using coconut oil for 99% of your health and beauty needs, then you’re basically failing at life.  It’ll do everything from take off your makeup to condition your hair (really- Google it) AND it’s only like ten bucks a jar, which makes it a bargain to boot!

You’re probably going to love this so much that you want to rub it all over your whole body, and that’s totally OK, but you’re going to have to make a bigger batch.  Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!

On a side note, if you’re not a DIY girl but love the idea of a product that simultaneously exfoliates and moisturizes,  the buffy is for you.  It’s not as cheap as my DIY version, but it’s worth every penny. Just one of the many Lush products I swear by!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to DIY Lip Scrub

There are so many random uses for coconut oil- I never thought to use it for this though!

Life Unsweetened

I make a similar DIY lip scrub and it works MIRACLES against chapped lips…which I get a ton of in the winter. Another good basic body scrub is from Sabon. It smells super yummy, too!

3. arayofsun says:

I’ve never tried a lip scrub but this is a good idea! I recently lost my brand new chapstick and I’m so bummed!
    xoxo
    Megan

• That’s such a bummer!! What kind do you use? I recently switched over to eos and I LOVE it. Especially the green one. I think it’s Honeydew or something? So awesome.

• arayofsun says:

Oh my gosh I just switched to eos too! I bought the pink a while back (I think it’s strawberry) and loved it so I recently invested in the green (mine is mint but they may have several green flavors) and that’s the one I lost. So sad!

4. jennacwest says:

Girl, you crack me up! But I am going to try this lip scrub for sure and load up on some coconut oil!

Jenna

5. Maya says:

This is seriously genius! So easy and so yummy 🙂 Always nice to find even more uses for coconut oil!

xx,
    Maya

Hilarious and helpful! I use coconut oil for cooking and conditioning my hair, so I will add this to my list of uses!

7. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful diy scrub! I absolutely hate chapped lips so I’m a notorious lip balm applier, can’t wait to give this lip scrub a try!

xo jen

8. Hahahha this post made me laugh! I get super dry lips in the winter and find myself dousing my lips in chapstick every 5 seconds. This is a way better (and cheaper) alternative. 🙂

9. Love this! I have a similar recipe that I use and was thinking of sharing on the blog soon! I’ll def credit you as a reminder/inspiration. 🙂