O, Christmas Tree!

You might say that I’m obsessed with Christmas, but that would probably be an understatement.  Think Will Farrell in Elf, toned down by half a notch.   Picking my favorite thing about Christmas is like choosing my favorite chocolate cookie (I can’t do it).  So prepare yourself for a slew of festive holiday posts in the upcoming weeks.

Today I want to show you my Christmas tree.  We upgraded our tree this year from a 6 footer to a 7.5 footer.  It only kinda fits in our tiny apartment. While the romantic, nostalgic side of me loves a real tree, we went fake for several reasons:

• We live in a city
  • They’re reusable year after year (which means $aving$)
  • Less clean-up
  • Stronger branches make more secure hanging for my precious ornaments.

I’ve been collecting ornaments my whole life so I have a ton that are special to me.

These Santa and Mrs. Claus ornaments are some of my favorites.  Starting the year I was born, my grandmother would give me one each Christmas.  Now I have the whole series and I look forward to rediscovering them year after year.

Once that series was discontinued, Grandma started giving me these angels.  I don’t love them as much as Santas, but they’re still very special because of the sentiment attached.  Now I have this whole series, too.

The two series combined equal about 25 ornaments, which is a lot but not nearly enough to trim a whole tree.

My favorite ornament that I’ve ever bought myself is this one, which I got on my first trip to Amsterdam.  The blue and white Delft pottery is characteristic of Holland, just like the windmill painted on it.  I think that Christmas ornaments are a great souvenir because they’re small and they take you back to that trip every year when you hang it on your tree.

Some of my other favorites were gifts from Jason.  He gave me several our first Christmas together.  I love how cute and silly they are- they remind me of that fun, early stage of our relationship.  I mean, adorable, right?

Am I the only one who gets super sentimental about decorating their tree every year?  What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

This entry was posted in Home, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to O, Christmas Tree!

1. Sam says:

Great job on the Christmas tree. I am guilty too about sentimental stuff ornaments. We still have the homemade pop corn garland that my husband made oh so many christmases ago… Love your blog and your pics. I hope we stay in touch !

xo
    Sam

2. Alyssa says:

I have a slew of ornaments that are special from my childhood, but unfortunately they’re all on my tree at my parents house. Instead, I picked up some with my roommate, but I’m looking forward to making my own traditions as I get old, get married, etc. Your tree looks gorgeous this year–who cares that it’s fake?!

Alyssa

Our tree is fake, too. We used to cut down ones from our backyard (yes, we grow Christmas tree s in my family’s backyard) butnow they are all too huge to fit inside the house. Plus, it’s a pain the ass to clean up all the needles! Yours looks gorgeous and I love those cute ornaments!

Life Unsweetened

4. Kelly says:

So cute, I love ornaments. My roommate and I are debating real vs. fake!

xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

5. Your christmas ornaments are too cute! I am getting so excited to get my tree put together after seeing so many pretty ones around the blogosphere!

6. raychiemac says:

I love your tree! I’m not particularly sentimental when decorating around the holidays, but I do become filled with Christmas cheer for the entire month 🙂

7. Heather says:

I live in a condo and have a few small fake trees – no shame in that 🙂 Your seven footer looks awesome 🙂

XO
    Pearls & Paws

YAY for someone being as into Christmas as I am. This year I’m having a tough time with my bf out of town, but I’m trying. I am currently in the process of replacing my artificial tree (I travel too much for a real tree, plus I’ve grown up on fake trees). Did you get a good deal on your 7.5′ one?

• Eh, not really. My last fake one was prelit, and this one isn’t…. but the reason I threw the other one out is because the lights burnt out. So hopefully this one will have more longevity and justify the cost 🙂

9. Lily says:

Sweet post! I think we’re getting ours this weekend. We go with the real, even though it’s true it’s a bit more of a hassle. Yours is beautiful!

• I’m jealous. I think we’d go the real route if my man was more rugged. Still, the sight of him carrying the box home from Target warmed my heart *almost* as much as dragging a new one home and up the elevator.

10. Meg says:

i love a real tree but i can understand it being cheaper, and safer if you are leaving for christmas but i just love the smell of a real tree so that is why i love to buy real

11. When I moved to FL my mom and grandma gave me all of my ornaments to take with me and now I am so excited to decorate our tree with those ornaments this year. My grandma has always bought me an ornament each year since I was born just like yours and I have a great collection for my own tree now. It helps me to see those ornaments when I’m missing family back home. Your tree looks great!