Buffalo Shredded Chicken [in the Crockpot]

Ever since I started making this chicken recipe, my fiancé has been obsessed.  It’s a household staple- it’s always in our fridge.  But I’m the kind of girl who gets burnt out on eating the same thing all the time so I sought our a similar, yet distinctly different way to cook chicken in the Crockpot.

I think it’s almost as good as the Mexican version, the Mr. thinks it’s slightly better.  My favorite thing about it is that it’s equally easy: same number of ingredients, same amount of work.

image

All you need is a (small to medium) bottle of Frank’s Hot Sauce, chicken, and a dry packet of ranch seasoning.  Mix the hot sauce and seasoning, then add the chicken.  Turn to coat, and cook on high for 4 hours (longer if you’re using frozen chicken).

Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with a fork.  Ta-da!  It’s done.  The recipe source suggests adding a couple tablespoons of butter, letting it melt in, and stirring it but I’m not convinced it’s necessary.

image_1

J’s been eating it plain, but I like it over chips with some melted cheese on top.  I see a million Superbowl party options with it.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Edit: I have re-made this recipe and confirmed that the butter is unnecessary.  My fiancé can’t tell the difference!

This entry was posted in Healthy meals & snacks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Buffalo Shredded Chicken [in the Crockpot]

1. I’m going to have to try this recipe. I loved the Shredded Mexican Chicken in the crockpot, and will probably love this one as well. Keep the delicious crock pot recipes coming! 🙂

2. fizzandfrosting says:

Oh how I love buffalo chicken. Your recipe sounds so easy. I don’t think I could mess this up! 🙂

OMG, this sounds SO yummy and beyond easy! Thanks for sharing!!

4. Jessica says:

mmmm that looks super easy & delicious! must try.

5. The mexican chicken recipe has become a go to in our house for quesadillas so now I can’t wait to try this version! Seriously, I’m about to make myself a cookbook out of all your great recipes.

6. Megan says:

Erin always makes this so delicious!

7. Looks so yummy! Maybe for tonight!!!

8. Lori says:

I think I know what will be for dinner tomorrow! Thanks for sharing. Will update you on how it turns out……!!

9. Erica says:

When making this do you use a certain amount of the hot sauce?

10. Kayla says:

This may be a stupid question, but I do not have a crockpot. I do have a Hamilton Beach slow cooker. Can this be made in my slow cooker instead ????

11. Kristen says:

A crockpot is a slow cooker, they’re one in the same

12. Amanda says:

Made a version of this with franks and honey. Amazing with celery, salad or a wrap and super healthy

13. I have this in the crockpot now for lunch. Im gonna serve it on slider buns and sides of cole slaw and raw veggies.

14. Is this too spicy for kids?

15. Em says:

Is there a way to make this without ranch powder? What could I substitute?

16. Stefani says:

My husband hates ranch, can I substitute with something else? Like italian seasoning or something? lol Does it even have a ranch taste?

17. Emily says:

How spicy is it? Cause I like the flavor of buffalo chicken but my stomach can’t handle super hot stuff 😦

18. Yvette says:

I’m thinking of trying this for Super Bowl Sunday but I’m stumped on what we would eat it with…rolls, tortilla chips? Any ideas??

19. tracy says:

how much chicken do you use?

• Well, it depends on your crockpot. I’ve found that I can use up to 6 and have good results. I recently tried 8 and my fiance (the only one who ate it) said it tasted fine, but it didn’t look as good as usual.

This recipe is ALWAYS in my fridge now. I’m tired of it but my fiance eats it ALL THE TIME.

20. Elizabeth Zdrodowski says:

We’re making this tonight! It’s in the crock pot right now!

21. Lauren says:

Do you know the exact time to cook with frozen chicken?

22. Lauren says:

Finally made this tonight and it was great!

23. Momma Kit says:

I don’t have Ranch seasoning mix, can you use dressing out of the bottle?

24. Iris says:

Im trying a variation on this tonight. I used buffalo wing sauce instead of hot sauce and sour cream instead of dry ranch. Im hoping it turns out like a spicy creamy buffalo chicken pasta sauce. Thanks for the inspiration.

25. Pingback: Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! | Martini With A Twist

26. Donna says:

Trying this for the 2nd time. My kids who are 9 & 12 loved it. I don’t like ranch or spicy foods but absolutely loved this chicken!

27. Melissa says:

I made this today and it was soooo good! My whole family loved it! Thanks so much for the recipe!

28. Teressa says:

Warning*** I bought Frank’s red hot wings buffalo sauce instead of original and made this and it was so salty it was disgusting. When I looked up the difference in sodium it was at least 300mg. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Now I have to figure out how to fix it so I don’t waste all that chicken 😦

29. Pingback: Meal Planning Monday: Swelter will return, so pull out tasty meals and put away extra heat | Our Living

30. jessica says:

Should I use the whole bottle of hot sauce?

31. Kim says:

I am trying this for dinner this evening. I have some very picky teenage boys so I hope its good. They both love spicy so I have that in my favor. We’re gonna do shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches and fried potatoes. Fingers crossed!!!!

32. Pingback: Heating it up | Mrs in the Mitten

33. antoinette says:

Just bought a crockpot today and want to try this! Any way to make it spicier?

34. KellerTxDad says:

I’m about to put this in my crock pot so it will be ready for Super Bowl kickoff. I’m thinking it will taste great as the orange hue of the sauce (maybe) gives the Bronco’s a slight edge? Looking forward to trying it!

35. Nicole says:

Do you know how much longer if you use frozen chicken?

36. Paige says:

Does it matter if it is Red Hot WINGS sauce?

37. Baylee Pocino says:

I did it, and its very easy and turned out awesome!

38. Janelle says:

I just threw this in my crock pot. Used 1 pound of chicken, about 1/2 bottle of baby ray’s buffalo wing sauce, 2 packets of ranch and a couple dashes of cayenne pepper hot sauce. I put my crock on my on the low setting so it can cook all day while I’m doing house work and running errands. We’ll see how it turns out!

39. Ashly Valfre says:

Can I use bone in chicken breasts with the skin on it?

40. Sarah says:

I do this and serve it on Hawaiian rolls with provolone cheese and blue cheese dressing:) yummy

41. Ashley says:

Has anybody else used the Franks Red Hot Buffalo wings sauce… I dont have original. Thanks

42. Pingback: How to Shred Chicken 7 Different & Easy Ways - Good Recipes Online

43. Kelly says:

This is one of my favorite crock pot recipes. We have it as a sandwich with a side salad for dinner. Then I eat left overs all week because it’s so addicting! I love it on salads too. Thanks!!

44. Rosemary says:

I am going to use this for a base for my lasagna roll ups!!!

45. Janine says:

I can’t wait to try this! Thank you for the comment on the butter, why add it if its not needed.

46. Pingback: Buffalo Ranch Shredded Chicken in the Crock pot | Life With Pinterest

47. Stephanie says:

Any suggestions for using frozen chicken breasts? I’m new to cooking with crockpots but definitely love it. I just Find the sauce is getting watered down from the chicken.

48. Rebecca says:

Made this 2 weeks ago for dinner and yesterday my husband asked if I could make it again. He can be very picky so this is a big deal! So easy too.

49. Maria says:

What can I pair the chicken with? Just chips and cheese? Or can I make something else out of it?

50. Pingback: Menu ideas Anyone? | Adams County Homeschooler

51. Rebecca says:

I tried it && it came out horrible salty. Idk where I went wrong the recipe was so easy 😭😭

• Hi Rebecca, sorry this turned out poorly for you. Are you sure you used the right hot sauce? I usually use Frank’s hot sauce but they make a few different variations (like a wing sauce). The bottles look very similar – maybe you grabbed the wrong one?