Sedlic Ossuary A.K.A. “The Bone Church”

Have you ever been lying in bed at night, trying to fall asleep, when you found yourself wondering what a church would look like decorated with the remains of 40,000+ people?

Yeah, me neither.  But when I heard that such a thing exists, I figured I had to see it.

About an hour train ride outside of Prague, Sedlec Ossuary looks like a pretty normal European church from the outside.

Sedlec1

Inside, not so much.

Sedlic2

The aura inside was peaceful and calm.  The bones were arranged over a century ago to honor the dead.  A half-blind monk was the “artist”.

Sedlic3 Sedlic4 Sedlic6 Sedlic5

Really extraordinary.  Have you ever seen anything like it?

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sedlic Ossuary A.K.A. “The Bone Church”

1. jordan says:

Wow this is insane! Who knew places like this existed!? My question is… Where did this guy get the bones of 40,000 people?!?

2. jennacwest says:

This is awesome, in an artist, gothic, a liitle creepy type of way. It’s like something out of the movie Goonies but I can see how peaceful and calm. I would love to visit a place like this. What an amazing experience.

I’ve heard about this but I’ve never seen pictures until now. It’s pretty incredible (if not kind of creepy)!

Alyssa

Wow- so amazing! I love skulls (yes, even though I’m girly I still love them) so this is beautiful to me.

5. fizzandfrosting says:

WOW. I had never heard of this church before, and even though it’s pretty spectacular, I also find it reeeeally creepy!

Fizz and Frosting

Wow. I have to say, this is very different and interesting. Not sure its my decorating taste though 😉